Applied Data Intelligence - Analyst
The ESG Exposure Associate is expected to have a general knowledge about emerging ESG trends and specific knowledge about financials, understanding and interpreting financial statements and being abreast with new accounting regulations and governing standards
The candidate will research information about a company's environmental, social, and governance performance, as well as traditional financial risk, using a variety of interesting sources including non-governmental organizations, annual reports, proxy statements, corporate social responsibility reports, sustainability reports, equity research reports, news publications, research studies, and engagement with the companies themselves.
- Strong background in equity data operations/equity data management
- Conversant with researching, analyzing and interpreting consolidated financial statements of companies, annual reports, CSR reports, etc.
- Searching for, procuring, and processing information about global companies using multiple methods, techniques and sources.
- Capturing and transforming raw data into meaningful information/ratings/scores.
- Working with different types of information sources (i.e. lengthy annual reports, websites, quantitative data feeds, web crawlers), types of information (i.e. quantitative data, key performance indicators, prose narratives), topics or subject matters (i.e. traditional financial risk, corporate governance, and sustainability) and types of analysis (i.e. rules-based, subjective analysis, written summaries).
- Monitoring quality and developing and measuring productivity metrics to ensure continuous improvement
- Should have driven process efficiency through data automation initiatives, vendorization, etc. resulting in productivity gains
- Supervision and review of contractual staff to support peak season production load
- Ownership of sub-processes within the team in addition to regular day to day production
Specific Knowledge and skills:
- Sound knowledge about equities or financial markets in general
- Excellent financial research skills
- Problem solving skills
- Strong background in process oriented/data heavy tasks
- Self-starter and self-motivated
- Should be solutions focused and have the ability to work in unstructured environments
- Attention to detail and good analytical skills
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.)
- Comfortable working in a team environment across hierarchies, functions and geographies
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Strong English reading and speaking skills. Knowledge of other languages will be an advantage
- Minimum 3-4 years of experience:
- In Financial Services industry, ideally involving financial research
- In Data Management/Data operations role involving process management, people management and change management
- Experienced at working in office set-up with multiple locations/overseas teams
- Experienced at presenting results of research in global settings
- BCOM, MBA, CA, CFA or any equivalent degree in commerce discipline (minimum)
- Advanced degree in related field preferred (Masters or PhD) but not mandatory
Our office is located in the Goregaon suburb of Mumbai, the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The office is primarily technology and data services but has representation from all groups.
The New York office is MSCI's Global Headquarters, the second largest office after Mumbai. It is located in downtown Manhattan, next to the World Trade Center memorial site. The office is also home to our CEO and several of our Executive Committee members.
The London office is located in the historic Spitalfields market area of East London, between the City of London and Shoreditch. It is our third largest office after Mumbai and New York.