Equity Data Management Analyst - Monterrey, NLE
The roles and responsibilities are structured geographically. Each analyst will be assigned certain countries and will gain functional expertise for the assigned countries. An analyst would typically perform the following functions for his coverage:
Defining the equity universe by:
- Identifying eligible equity securities, and
- Classifying these eligible securities into the appropriate country
Fundamental Data Update
Collection, quality control and maintenance of fundamental data. The fundamental data points that we update include revenues, earnings, cash earnings, book value, dividends and number of shares. This function involves:
- Normalization of the profit and loss statement
- Normalization of balance sheet Understanding the impact of fundamental data updates on index level aggregates
- Performing quality control procedures to ensure the accuracy of fundamental data updates
- Ongoing review of accounting trends
Reviewing the free float of various securities. Free float of a security is defined as the proportion of shares outstanding that is deemed to be available for purchase in the public equity markets by international investors. This function involves:
- Collecting information on the shareholding structures of various companies on an annual basis and analyzing the nature of each shareholder in order to determine whether or not the latter is strategic.
- Reviewing the foreign ownership restrictions applicable to individual securities, sectors or countries.
- Determining if there are any other restrictions on foreign investors that impede their ability to invest in individual securities, sectors or countries.
Number of Shares Review
While the number of shares mentioned under the Fundamental Data Update section refers to the outstanding shares as at the date of financial statements being updated, the number of shares mentioned here refers to the number of shares after a corporate event. While tracking major corporate events is the responsibility of the Events Analyst covering the respective country, tracking minor corporate events is still the responsibility of the covering the country in question. This function involves:
- Confirming the latest number of shares and determining the reasons for changes in the number of shares, where the change exceeds certain thresholds on a quarterly basis.
- Determining whether the change in the number of shares requires a float review.
GICS® Review is done based on various factors such as product segmentation, market perception, competitors’ classification, and so on. This function involves:
- Reviewing the appropriateness of the current GICS® of various companies in the Equity Universe on an annual basis
- Determining the GICS® of companies newly added to the Equity Universe under the section Universe Management
- Assisting on projects related to improvement in industry classification structure on a bi-annual basis
Economic Exposure Review
Collecting, quality controlling and maintenance of geographic segmentation data of companies. The MSCI Economic Exposure Indices aim to reflect the performance of companies with significant exposure to target regions or countries, regardless of their domicile. Here, an analyst is required to review the exposure that a company is deriving from a specific region and analyze causes of variations.
Already described in Position Overview
The ideal candidate would have the following qualities:
- Good analytical skills
- Self-starter and high level of motivation and commitment to hard work
- Open mind with a taste for improving processes
- Should be a team player
- High level of focus on work quality/attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Ability to articulate clearly and concisely
- Desire to effectively work with diverse cultures on a global team
We are looking for candidates:
- 1 to 2 years of work experience
Our office is located in the Goregaon suburb of Mumbai, the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The office is primarily technology and data services but has representation from all groups.
The New York office is MSCI's Global Headquarters, the second largest office after Mumbai. It is located in downtown Manhattan, next to the World Trade Center memorial site. The office is also home to our CEO and several of our Executive Committee members.
The London office is located in the historic Spitalfields market area of East London, between the City of London and Shoreditch. It is our third largest office after Mumbai and New York.