Data Scientist and Automation Expert - Mumbai,
For more than 40 years, MSCI’s research-based indexes and analytics have helped the world’s leading investors build and manage better portfolios. Clients rely on our offerings for deeper insights into the drivers of performance and risk in their portfolios, broad asset class coverage and innovative research. Our line of products and services includes indexes, analytical models, data, real estate benchmarks and Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) research. MSCI serves 98 of the top 100 largest money managers, according to the most recent P&I ranking.
For more information, visit us at www.msci.com.
PQP/Data Analytics team provides solutions for the full lifecycle of data content management: vendor procurement, quality analysis, system design, usability, and scalability. We cover a growing set of asset classes and data categories including among others, market data, fundamental data, analyst forecasts, corporate actions and MSCI proprietary data.
As a data analyst you will be part of the PQP Data Analytics function .Our role is to coordinate and accelerate the handling of data requests within MSCI. Other mandate includes applying data science techniques for data quality assurance and control, automation of data diagnostics, implementing system infrastructure projects, specifications development, testing, etc.
- Automation of data quality diagnostics by developing a new system/tool which will enable quality assessment of data without manual intervention
- Create reusable code components, libraries, etc. and build a prototype system with all capabilities in MATLAB before handing it over to IT teams for production deployment (must be proficient in MATLAB or C/C++, PYTHON, etc.)
- Develop automated reporting templates using graphics components in MATLAB/PYTHON – line plots, scatter diagrams, etc. Output results of analysis in PDF or PPT using programming platforms
- Develop business understanding of data and brainstorm on developing data metrics to quantify coverage, quality and stability for existing or new data
- Do exploratory work to identify patterns in data and derive meaningful information to drive business intelligence by analyzing voluminous amounts of data
- Work towards developing data anomaly detection models using predictive analytics and unsupervised machine learning techniques
- Work towards designing systems, infrastructure and platforms for managing data and facilitating data analytics. These roles would require having good understanding of best practices in these domains
- Writing specifications documentation, building prototypes, communication/discussion with IT teams on system design, preparing UAT plans and testing
- Sharing plans, recommendations, summaries with management through conference calls, meetings and presentations
Desired experience and qualifications:
- Strong expertise in MATLAB, C or C++, SQL and application of statistical methods in analyzing data. PYTHON, R would be good to have
- Understanding of graphics interface in MATLAB – plots, generate reports in PDF, PPT, etc.
- 5+ years of experience
- Good to have: Practical understanding and application of data science and machine learning techniques like GLM, clustering, support vector machines, random forests, etc.
- Are an independent worker who is able to drive certain parts of the work with minimal oversight
- Have strong interest in Finance, work experience in finance and capital markets preferred
- Have inclination to work on large data sets and come up with creative solutions on data mining
- Have experience in system designing, setting up infrastructure, new technology onboarding, etc.
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
Due to the great number of applications we receive for each of our open vacancies, we are unable to respond on an individual basis.
To all recruitment agencies: MSCI does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any MSCI employee, location or website. MSCI is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Our office is located in the Goregaon suburb of Mumbai, the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The office is primarily technology and data services but has representation from all groups.
The New York office is MSCI's Global Headquarters, the second largest office after Mumbai. It is located in downtown Manhattan, next to the World Trade Center memorial site. The office is also home to our CEO and several of our Executive Committee members.
The London office is located in the historic Spitalfields market area of East London, between the City of London and Shoreditch. It is our third largest office after Mumbai and New York.