Applied Data Intelligence - Associate
MSCI is a leading provider of investment decision support tools to clients worldwide, ranging from large pension plans to boutique hedge funds. We offer a range of products and services - including indexes, portfolio risk and performance analytics - through a number of internationally recognized brands MSCI, Barra, RiskMetrics, IPD, FEA, InvestorForce, etc.
POSITION OVERVIEW – Data Analyst (Applied Data Intelligence)
Applied Data Intelligence team provides solutions for the full lifecycle of data content management: vendor procurement, quality analysis, usability, scalability and new product feasibility studies. We cover a growing set of asset classes and data categories including among others, market data, fundamental data, analyst forecasts, corporate actions and MSCI proprietary data.
As a data scientist, you will be part of the applied data intelligence function. Our role is to coordinate and accelerate the handling of data requests within MSCI from internal clients (Research and product teams). Help Research and Product to make clear decisions on what can and cannot be used for product creation by presenting clear pictures through data certification assessment. Other mandate includes applying data science techniques for data quality assurance and control, automation of data diagnostics, feasibility study for implementing system infrastructure projects, specifications development, testing, etc.
- Understand the business data needs and usage.
- Manage the data requests pipeline by diligently answering any new product development or research data requests. In this role, you will have to analyze data not yet available in the catalogue and assess if they are fit for purpose for a new product.
- Evaluate data from vendors to assess fit for current requirement and use cases. Work with vendor files, manuals and develop and understanding of the data structures
- Summarize results and provide recommendations through concise marketing materials in presentations, conference calls
- In consultation with other EDM functions and internal EDM clients, define the data governance parameters required to qualify data in the MSCI data catalogue: Vendor information, metrics (data overage. quality), and methodology information….Explain to internal clients how the parameters can be used for various business use cases.
- Develop standardized templates to document data methodology, or Data Service Agreement for both internal and external clients.
- Understanding of IT systems, databases and experience of working large data sets.
- Have a Bachelors/Master Degree in Finance, Economics (Including equivalents of CA, CFA, FRM, MMS, MBA)
- Have 3+ years of relevant working experience with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Have an inclination to take learn and work with technical skills. Some basic understanding of SQL would be a plus
- Are an independent worker who is able to drive certain parts of the work with minimal oversight
- Have strong interest in finance with specific knowledge in providers of financial data products (Reuters, Interactive Data, SIX Telekurs, Factset …)
- Understanding of global equity markets, corporate events and impact of events on stock data
- Interact and learn from people who have spent 10-15 years and more in the index/analytics industry
- MSCI data analysis and methodology (e.g.: company ratio analysis and usage of ratios to construct factor based products)
- Opportunity to understand functioning of risk models, index construction, and basics of portfolio management
- Exposure to alternate asset classes which are becoming increasingly relevant in the investment process
Our office is located in the Goregaon suburb of Mumbai, the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The office is primarily technology and data services but has representation from all groups.
The New York office is MSCI's Global Headquarters, the second largest office after Mumbai. It is located in downtown Manhattan, next to the World Trade Center memorial site. The office is also home to our CEO and several of our Executive Committee members.
The London office is located in the historic Spitalfields market area of East London, between the City of London and Shoreditch. It is our third largest office after Mumbai and New York.