VP, Public Relations - New York, NY
Scope of Responsibility
Reporting to the Managing Director, Global Head of Corporate Communications, the Vice President of Public Relations will be responsible for developing and implementing the firm’s PR strategy, effectively delivering key corporate, business and product level messages to its various audiences (clients, employees, investors) through the media. S/he will primarily support MSCI’s four business units: Index, Analytics, ESG and Real Estate.
The role will also encompass PR support at the corporate level, working closely with the Global Head of Corporate Communications and senior management, including the CMO, CCO, COO and the CEO. This is a strategic position that will need to drive the reputation of MSCI externally, while ensuring that our corporate priorities and messages are closely aligned to drive business growth.
The role will work closely with the Global Head of Corporate Communications, as well as regional PR agencies, to support this large and diverse business, ensuring consistent and appropriate media messaging across the firm. S/he will also need to build strong relationships with the Executive team and business unit heads working closely with them on any PR opportunities.
The Vice President of Public Relations will be expected to initiate thought leadership and research content opportunities, position key executives as experts on key industry issues, identify hot topics, promote the MSCI product range, communicate MSCI news/announcements, and leverage other opportunities across financial and trade media.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to stand out and make their mark within our global organization from day one.
· The Vice President of Public Relations will be expected to:
· Plan, develop and implement corporate and business level PR strategies
· Develop and execute a strategic PR plan to ensure alignment with business strategy and key corporate goals
· Create an annual PR plan that identifies key stories and themes, including a corporate editorial calendar that includes product and content launch release schedule and target media
· Maintain and establish new relationships with key media and other influencers in the industry within company’s areas of expertise
· Research and write press releases and PR pitches
· Actively pursue new PR opportunities
· Manage day-to-day PR activity including liaising with the media and dealing with media enquiries
· Collate and analyze media coverage, providing regular feedback on ROI and measuring against specified PR objectives
· Organize media events globally including press conferences and roundtables
· Manage the PR and rapid response aspect of any potential reputation or crisis situations
· Identify “free” speaking opportunities
· Edit existing content (including research) for bylined article placement in the media
· Media train and coach Spokespeople and senior executives on how to deal with the media professionally
· Contribute to the overall marketing plan and collaborate closely with key marketing stakeholders in content, product, events and brand/social media
· Manage external PR agencies and other key agency relationships across the business
· Experience in a PR or marketing communications role, having had responsibility for devising and delivering PR plans
· Proven track record in delivering measurable PR results in the financial media
· Great external contacts with journalists and/or industry associations in financial and trade media
· Digital and social media experience
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent creative writing skills including the ability to convey difficult or complex ideas or concepts in clear and engaging manner
· Genuine interest in the financial markets including a good understanding of investment processes and how indices, portfolio management and risk analytics are used in that process
· Experience of managing and developing relationships with the media
· Experience of external agency management
· Masters/University degree in Marketing, finance or related discipline
· Strong interpersonal, organizational and management skills and the ability to communicate with employees at all levels in the organization, and across multiple time zones
· Confident self starter with proven leadership qualities, a proactive nature and a hands-on approach
· Excellent organizational skills, ability to work on multiple projects/plans and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
· Excellent attention to detail
Our office is located in the Goregaon suburb of Mumbai, the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The office is primarily technology and data services but has representation from all groups.
The New York office is MSCI's Global Headquarters, the second largest office after Mumbai. It is located in downtown Manhattan, next to the World Trade Center memorial site. The office is also home to our CEO and several of our Executive Committee members.
The London office is located in the historic Spitalfields market area of East London, between the City of London and Shoreditch. It is our third largest office after Mumbai and New York.