Index New Product Development Research - London,
The MSCI Equity Index New Product Development Team is a global client-centric research group with a broad mandate to carry out analytical research to enhance existing MSCI indexes and develop new index methodologies. This responsibility spans all MSCI Factor, Thematic, Cap-weighted and ESG Indexes. The team is currently based in London and Mumbai.
The Index NPD Research group uses a range of analytical tools and methods to investigate new equity index ideas, carry out research and simulations to turn these ideas into new methodologies, conduct client consultations, and launch new indexes through MSCI's world class index production platform. The group works closely with other groups within research (analytics, ESG) and across the firm (data, technology, product, coverage) to implement the NPD index research agenda and benefit from the substantial resources and expertise available within the global MSCI organization.
Scope of Responsibility /Expectation
The successful candidate will be a senior member of the Index NPD team and will be based in London. The candidate will be expected to take on complex new index research projects and contribute to their success from initial concept through research, development, client consultation and production implementation. This is a practical, hands-on role: the candidate will carry out their own extensive back testing, research and analysis of equity strategies using historical market data, Barra factor models and portfolio construction tools to build new indexes and generate investment insights. The candidate will work closely with clients through meetings and consultations to refine new index ideas so they meet the clients' investment challenges or capture client investment strategies. The candidate will be required to represent the research aspects of our new product offerings in client and prospect meetings as well as at industry seminars and MSCI research events.
Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Understanding of equity analysis and equity investment process, investment styles such as value/growth investing, factor investing, thematic strategies etc
- Familiarity with quantitative investment approaches such as portfolio optimization, long/short, leveraged positions etc is an advantage Familiarity with quantitative strategy structuring
- Highly developed hands-on analytical and quantitative skills (e.g., time series and cross-sectional analysis) and extensive recent practical experience with statistical and database packages (for example Matlab, SQL, etc)
- Familiarity with institutional investment practices, sell-side products and buyside portfolio management concepts
- Familiar with investment research and data vendors (e.g., Bloomberg, Reuters, Factset, risk and portfolio management systems)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Experience of writing technical and research reports Knowledge of other major European languages is an advantage
- Extensive relevant work experience (e.g., investment management, investment banking, structured product development, quant structuring, investment research etc)
- Graduate degree in finance, econometrics, science/engineering or another highly quantitative subject preferred
- CFA or FRM is an advantage
Our office is located in the Goregaon suburb of Mumbai, the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The office is primarily technology and data services but has representation from all groups.
The New York office is MSCI's Global Headquarters, the second largest office after Mumbai. It is located in downtown Manhattan, next to the World Trade Center memorial site. The office is also home to our CEO and several of our Executive Committee members.
The London office is located in the historic Spitalfields market area of East London, between the City of London and Shoreditch. It is our third largest office after Mumbai and New York.