ESG Contingent - Tokyo,
MSCI ESG Research is seeking an ESG Researcher to join our global analyst team on a contract basis for duration of six months based in Tokyo.
The research analyst is expected to have a strong interest in Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) trends and specific knowledge of the dominant ESG issues for selected industries. The analyst will investigate and assess core ESG risks faced by the industries and evaluate performance along the key benchmarks for publicly traded companies. The research will support MSCI ESG Ratings, which provides institutional investors with a comprehensive ESG integration solution.
In addition to possessing excellent communication and data analysis skills, the ideal candidate is expected to follow company news, industry trends, and relevant regulations that impact a company’s ESG profile.
Currently, we have a preference for candidates with experience and expertise in sumer Staples, Healthcare, or Capital Goods industries, but all candidates with ESG experience are encouraged to apply.
Scope of Responsibility /Expectation:
- Analyze companies within the framework of MSCI ESG Ratings and identify key industry-specific ESG trends
- Prepare company ESG Ratings and industry reports that are catered to investment professionals
- Demonstrate thought leadership in key ESG issues impacting company coverage
- Contribute to ongoing methodology projects that improve the availability of ESG data and how ESG issues can materialize into key risks or opportunities for investors.
Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent English writing and communication skills to successfully convey company ESG ratings and methodology in a public setting
- Native level Japanese
- Strong analytical skills with a proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Powerpoint)
- Ability to thrive in a deadline-driven environment and establish strong relationships across a global team
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum two years of full-time professional experience in:
- ESG research industry, or
- Financial services experience that includes exposure to ESG investment products, or
- Analytical roles within key industries, or
- Corporate side CSR experience, or
- Relevant public policy or academic or NGO experience
- Minimum of Bachelors' degree required; Advanced degree in related field (Masters or PhD) is preferred
Our office is located in the Goregaon suburb of Mumbai, the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The office is primarily technology and data services but has representation from all groups.
The New York office is MSCI's Global Headquarters, the second largest office after Mumbai. It is located in downtown Manhattan, next to the World Trade Center memorial site. The office is also home to our CEO and several of our Executive Committee members.
The London office is located in the historic Spitalfields market area of East London, between the City of London and Shoreditch. It is our third largest office after Mumbai and New York.