ESG Ratings Analyst - Beijing,
Built upon the expertise of sustainability pioneers KLD, Innovest and IRRC, MSCI ESG Research is a leading source of environmental, social and governance (ESG) ratings, screening and compliance tools to advisers, managers and asset owners worldwide. This includes an industry-leading suite of products and services that support the integration of ESG factors into the investment decision process.
MSCI’s clients worldwide and in particular those who are signatories to the United Nation’s Principles for Responsible Investing (UNPRI), are increasingly focused on ESG issues. As a growing number of asset managers are now subject to ESG-related mandates, our products will shape strategies going forward. MSCI ESG Research is committed to providing innovative tools to support our clients in this expanding market.
MSCI ESG Research, part of MSCI Inc, is seeking to expand its ESG Ratings team with new positions in Beijing. An ESG Ratings associate is expected to have a strong working knowledge of general ESG trends and specific knowledge about the dominant ESG issues for a number of industries. Analysts rate companies and write Company Profiles for large, mid and small cap companies from across the globe with a particular focus on China. Sector specializations in metal and mining, steel, industrials, and other heavy industrials or retail industry are highly desired.
Additionally, qualified candidates will be required to have experience making presentations related to the industries and companies that he/she analyses for both internal and external audiences. The candidate will research information about a company's environmental, social, and governance performance, as well as traditional financial risk, using a variety of interesting sources including non-governmental organizations, annual reports, proxy statements, corporate social responsibility reports, sustainability reports, equity research reports, news publications, research studies, and engagement with the companies themselves.
Scope of Responsibility /Expectation:
- Searching for, procuring and processing information about global companies using multiple methods, techniques and sources.
- Capturing and transforming raw data into meaningful information/ratings/scores.
- Working with different types of information sources (i.e. lengthy annual reports, websites, quantitative data feeds, web crawlers), types of information (i.e. quantitative data, key performance indicators, prose narratives), topics or subject matters (i.e. traditional financial risk, corporate governance, and sustainability) and types of analysis (i.e. rules-based, subjective analysis, written summaries).
- Produce scores, ratings and other forms of relevant analysis.
- Monitoring quality and productivity metrics to ensure continuous improvement.
- Participate in various working committees and/or projects relating to ESG Research.
Specific Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong understanding of ESG/ Sustainability Issues
- Strong background in process oriented/data heavy tasks
- Strong English writing, reading and speaking as well as Chinese reading and speaking skills are a must. Knowledge of any other languages will be advantageous
- Experience(or an aptitude for) presenting of research results in global settings
Desired Experience and Qualifications :
- Three to five years of experience in ESG Research industry, or Relevant financial services experience that includes exposure to ESG investment products, or Experiences in mining industry, steel industry, industrials or retail industries are preferred
- Experienced at working in office set-up with multiple locations/overseas teams
- Bachelors' degree required
- Advanced degree in related field preferred (masters or PhD) but not mandatory
Our office is located in the Goregaon suburb of Mumbai, the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The office is primarily technology and data services but has representation from all groups.
The New York office is MSCI's Global Headquarters, the second largest office after Mumbai. It is located in downtown Manhattan, next to the World Trade Center memorial site. The office is also home to our CEO and several of our Executive Committee members.
The London office is located in the historic Spitalfields market area of East London, between the City of London and Shoreditch. It is our third largest office after Mumbai and New York.