Senior Multi - Category Buyer
For more than 40 years, MSCI’s research-based indexes and analytics have helped the world’s leading investors build and manage better portfolios. Clients rely on our offerings for deeper insights into the drivers of performance and risk in their portfolios, broad asset class coverage and innovative research. Our line of products and services includes indexes, analytical models, data, real estate benchmarks and ESG research. MSCI serves 98 of the top 100 largest money managers, according to the most recent P&I ranking.
For more information, visit us at www.msci.com.
The IT Procurement Team is part of the Global Vendor Management function and is centralized in Budapest and procures all IT Hardware, Software and Services on behalf of MSCI employees, products & services and clients around the world. The team consists of the IT Procurement Manager and 8 senior and junior Category Buyers with expertise in procurement of Hardware, Software and IT Services (mobile & landline telephony, Wide Area Network, Internet, data centers).
The Multi-Category IT Buyer within the IT Procurement Team is responsible for the strategic sourcing of Software, Hardware (and related maintenance agreements) as well as IT Services. This position will report into a Budapest based IT Procurement Manager. The focus on software procurement means that previous exposure to SW licensing terms, major SW vendor interactions and IT background will be considered a significant advantage, though the fundamentals of sound procurement principles and standard procedures, excellent negotiation skills in English and the drive to generate value through savings and other efficiencies are the essentials.
Software can include software installed on MSCI owned servers and PCs as well software accessed via web browser over the internet (Software as a Service “SaaS”). Software may be licensed on a perpetual use basis with or without annual maintenance contract or on a
term subscription basis. Software may be for internal use, embedded within MSCI products and services or used on behalf of MSCI clients.
Hardware includes, but is not limited to: desktop and laptop PCs and related peripherals; multi function printers; blade servers; disk storage; and VTL & tape-based backup kit.
IT Services includes, but is not limited to mobile & landline telephony, Wide Area Network, Internet, co-location data center space and cloud computing.
Major vendors include: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Vodafone, Microsoft, Lenovo, Cisco, Avaya, Xerox, EMC, QNAP, NetApp, Oracle, Citrix, Symantec, Salesforce.com, and over 100 other smaller providers.
- Negotiate and Project Manage: lead direct negotiation with vendors or resellers to obtain optimal pricing, terms and conditions and usage rights in the long term interest of MSCI - not only for individual transactions but for long-term price holds as well. Obtain competitive quotes from multiple providers. When appropriate for certain large purchases, prepare, issue and track responses to RFPs and perform vendor due diligence and comparative financial analyses as needed. Follow all MSCI procurement procedures including, but not limited to obtaining appropriate legal review of contracts / orders, all required budget approvals and final contract signature by authorized signatories.
- Manage the existing vendors and develop new ones as needed: hold routine meetings with key suppliers to ensure health of the relationship and escalate issues as necessary for support, bug fixes, patches, etc., identify ways to improve procurement processes and lower prices.
- Contract Management: understand and optimize inventory of all existing IT Services and Software vendors and contracts worldwide including what we own, key business terms, etc. in our existing Vendor Management contract database (Salesforce.com).
- Cut-Costs: look for and recommend opportunities to reduce costs through consolidation of services (fewer vendors), contract renegotiations, termination of unneeded service, etc.
- Innovate: continuously seek opportunities to better leverage MSCI's spend to deliver more value and higher levels of service to MSCI staff. Keep current on latest trends and new technologies. Proactively propose ideas or reactively support the IT team evaluating ideas that provide better service at lower cost.
- Help manage the budget: support the IT Finance group with budget preparation, monthly variance analysis of actual vs. budget, forecasting and accruals.
- Be a team player: work with your fellow team members to achieve the team's collective goals. Support Head of IT Procurement and Head of Vendor Management on ad hoc projects as requested.
- Build relationships across MSCI: this position will interact heavily with the related end-users and subject matter experts as well as with the IT team, Accounts Payable team, IT Finance, MSCI Legal department and Corporate Services team. Building credibility and trust with these groups at senior levels is essential to the long term success of the role.
Desired experience and qualifications:
- Degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of 5 years related work experience is required. The ideal candidate will have successfully performed a similar role within a medium to large sized company and have a demonstrated track record of negotiating large multinational deals with global vendors / resellers and be able to work autonomously.
- Knowledge of products and services common to technology and / or financial enterprises
- Demonstrated project management experience and skills
- Given the global nature of this role working with colleagues and vendors around the world, superior interpersonal skills and strong written and verbal communications skills in English are essential
- Must be a solid negotiator and possess strong analytic skills and be able to use MS Excel and MS Access to prepare comprehensive cost comparison analyses
- Superior interpersonal skills and strong written and verbal communications skills in English are essential.
Due to the great number of applications we receive for each of our open vacancies, we are unable to respond on an individual basis.
To all recruitment agencies: MSCI does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any MSCI employee, location or website. MSCI is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Our office is located in the Goregaon suburb of Mumbai, the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The office is primarily technology and data services but has representation from all groups.
The New York office is MSCI's Global Headquarters, the second largest office after Mumbai. It is located in downtown Manhattan, next to the World Trade Center memorial site. The office is also home to our CEO and several of our Executive Committee members.
The London office is located in the historic Spitalfields market area of East London, between the City of London and Shoreditch. It is our third largest office after Mumbai and New York.